International trademark practice has grown increasingly complex in recent years with the U.S. and EU accession to the Madrid Protocol, the continuing expansion of the EU, ever evolving communication technologies and the rampant growth of piracy and counterfeiting problems in East Asia and eastern Europe.
The firm has an extensive international trademark clearance and registration practice, and provides portfolio management and counseling to hundreds of trademark owners with tens of thousands of international registrations. We secure and monitor a high volume of registrations outside of the U.S. for clients based not only in the U.S., but also in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Australia, Brazil, Argentina, China, Korea, Russia, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Thailand and many other countries. We are experienced in coordinating multi-country legal advice and assisting clients in formulating consistent policies and strategies on key issues, including international filing programs using the Madrid Protocol and Paris Convention.
We have in place the infrastructure to support our international practice. We have attorneys who are fluent in numerous languages, including Mandarin Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian and Spanish. In addition to our network of international associates, the firm has a European and U.A.E presence, which allows us to file and prosecute European Community applications without the expense of retaining local counsel. The firm also is active in the following organizations:
- MARQUES, the leading trademark owners’ organization in Europe
- The Association of European Trademark Owners
- Pharmaceutical Trade Marks Group (PTMG), the worldwide pharmaceutical trademark owners’ group
- Licensing Executive Society (LES) in the United States, Britain and Ireland
- Asian Patent Attorneys Association, the International Bar Association
- The International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association